LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE
"Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. " -Grandma Moses

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Ride a Bicycle, Summon Your Inner Child


Have you ever gotten to the point in life that you feel like everyone and everything is against you for some unknown reason and your stress level seems so high that you feel like you are on the verge of some total spontaneous combustion. Well, I think we all have been there at some point in life and if you haven't then you're time is probably on the horizon as I type... just sayin'! I mean, it happens to the best of us. Personally, I think when we've reached that point it's a necessity to take a step back, breath in some fresh air, and get back to a good place in your body mind & soul. I find the best way to get there is through getting in touch with your inner child (if only for a moment). It can work wonders on your emotional state (and outward appearance!). It's all personal as to what has the ability to get you there, but it really is the best antidote in a time of high, seemily unrelenting, stress... in this day and age of holistic medicine, the best "natural" remedy.

Children have a natural way of being able to truly be fully engaged in and enjoy the moment. As adults, we have so much information going on internally in our minds and so many constant external responsibilities that we're juggling and pressures that it is difficult (if not impossible) at times to truly live in the moment and to fully get pleasure out of life. I have realized this more than ever lately, as more and more responsibilities get presented to me or put on my plate (so to speak)... sometimes when it gets like this and you aren't feeling completely prepared for it all you can definitely feel as if you're having to bite off more than you can or want to chew. On another note, I'm also currently dating a man who has two very young children, so the thoughts of those very big added responsibilities to my life can weigh on my mind a bit and overwhealm me. Don't get me wrong, I love kids... but I've personally never had or dealt with them in a relationship or on a daily basis.. and, more importantly, in a parental role. My life has, up to this point, mainly been all about me and taking care of myself. However, with that said, being around and watching his kids reminds me just how simple and fun life used to be and feel as a child... even how much more and often they laugh during the day is simply amazing to me at times. Childhood, it really is a truly beautiful thing and wonderful time in life.

Well, with all this said... After a week of being run down by my thoughts and pressures of my so-called adult life, I was in deep reflect of everything that lay before me and was dragging me down (internally & externally). I came to the conclusion that I needed a break or I was going to break (or break something!)... I didn't realize until my boyfriend and I decided to head out early one summer morning on a bike ride (we called it the Urban Assault). He didn't have the kids this day so it was just us and our bikes to focus on, and I had no idea beforehand that our little bike ride would have such an impact on me. I hadn't been on my bike in awhile, which is funny because I used to be out on my bike all the time before we started dating. I was a pretty avid cyclist before our relationship took off and I really LOVED the long-distance all day group rides. I suppose I just found myself too busy with other things that I was devoting my time to and trying to figure out(aka: the kids in my life now), so going on rides has been pushed to the back burner in my life. However, I can honestly say that our simple decision to go on a ride was the best one we've made together to do as a couple in awhile. He may not realize this but it was just what the doctor ordered for me with how I'd been feeling... getting on my old bike and taking it out for a little spin and a little adventure made me feel totally rejuvenated inside. I honestly felt like a kid again, and I could feel the happiness surging back into my tethered veins as we spontaneously rode through the streets around the city and the neighborhood. I just wanted to laugh again... OUTLOUD.. as I felt the old familiar burn in my legs while the wind blew all through my hair and all over my skin. It made me feel alive.. not only was my mouth smiling... but my soul felt like it was smiling, and thanking me. I never realized until that moment, how much I love riding a bike and how just hopping on a bicycle again can take you back to that beautiful and happy place called childhood.. even if only for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment